System status

6th February 2019: Yet another fault, this time it's serious. I disconnected the data logger and reconnected it, after which it has never worked. I think I may have damaged it. So the only things on the station which work are temperature, humidity and I can measure the sunshine and rainfall but wind speed, direction, barometer data are not present. I'm sorry about this, it looks as if the system will be broken for some time. I am letting the data (such as it is) to continue to flow to the website but if you look at the graphs (and the main page) you will see it's lacking.

2nd March 2018: A new fault has developed; the automatic rain gauge has been damaged by frost. The outlet from the rain gauge became blocked preventing water from getting out of the gauge which resulted in the gauge filling with water and submerging the electronics which are now not working. The rain gauge heater unfortunately was not powerful enough to thaw the output. A new circuit board has been ordered and once it arrives, I will endeavour to fit it as soon as possible. If you observe the graphs of rainfall, you will see that the rainfall appears to happen in sudden jumps, that is because I have to rely on the manual gauge, whose readings I usually take at 9:00am every day and I add the reading after that time so that the correct total is arrived at eventually but not the graduations in between.

17th March 2018: The rain gauge board has been replaced and is believed to be working correctly. The outlet of the rain gauge is now raised above the mounting plate, making it less likely that the outlet will freeze. Time will tell!

At the end of October 2017, a serious fault developed in the cable between the anemometer pole and our house. This effectively prevented signals getting through with the result that no sunshine was recorded. After a few days, it became clear that something was wrong with the wind signals as well, so the decision was taken (about 3rd November) to disconnect them completely. This resulted in the wind direction becoming stuck at North, the wind speed remaining at zero mph and the sunshine records for the days also being zero. It was decided to keep the temperature, humidity, dewpoint, barometer and rainfall operating normally as they were not affected by this problem. We went on holiday on 1st November and did not get back until 17th November, when a determined effort was made to fix the problem. This involved purchasing a new cable (305 metres long) and connecting it up with the system. I acknowledge here the considerable help given to me by Garry Stewart of Auchterhouse, and we quickly laid out the cable in preparation for connecting it, and eventually burying it.

24th November. The damaged cable has now been replaced and apart from a few small adjustments everything is back to normal. It is taking a lot of time to bury the new cable and this task still has more than 100 metres to go on 7th March 2018.

John Brush